Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th October 2020, 11:43 AM   #1
Avionyx

Default Texture Mapping for dummies

Hi Guys,

I've been using AC3D for years to create models but normally leave the mapping to others who do it using other software. I'd now like to learn how to do it on my own and can texture map a simple object no problem.

The issue comes with trying to do something more complex and I'm pretty sure I'm going wrong so thought I'd put my process down here and ask for a bit of help.

Let's say I'm trying to texture the area of a tail section of this helicopter.

What I really want to do is have a map with one area covering the left profile and the other covering the right profile.
The problem is I can't just do a cut down the middle in surface mode as I would if it were a simple shape as the left side and right side aren't evenly split.

What I've been doing so far is selecting the surfaces which roughly cover the left profile and assigning that to a space on the map and then doing the same for the right side.
The issue being while in surface mode I can't see what area is already covered by the map so I have to guess and with so many surfaces I end up missing/overlapping somewhat.

I'm hoping I'm being really silly here and missing a simple trick to unwrap these objects somehow into a easy to map mesh but I haven't found it yet.
any and all help much appreciated

Alex
Avionyx is offline   Reply With Quote