Go Back   AC3D Forums > Meeting places > AC3D and X-Plane
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st March 2021, 08:15 PM   #1
Flightboy

Default Impossible to bolean..

Hi folks, it's impossible to bolean the side window as here in the picture. Impossible to select 2 objects. What can i do it?

Regards Jens Eirik
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolean impossible.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	3800  

Flightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 03:46 PM   #2
Flightboy

Default Re: Impossible to bolean..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightboy View Post
Hi folks, it's impossible to bolean the side window as here in the picture. Impossible to select 2 objects. What can i do it?

Regards Jens Eirik
Hi again..

Still problem to bolean the side window after I reworked the new side window. What now??

What is cause I can't bolean the window?

Bugs in AC3D???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bolean impossible.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	3802  

Old 2nd April 2021, 10:01 AM   #3
humbug

I'm not sure I know, but I always have the "Tools/Hierarchy View" window open and select from it (F8). You're also in Group mode (upper left icon) rather than Object mode. It should still work as I just tested it and it worked for me. But worth a try to use Object mode and select both objects from the Hierarchy view.
humbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 06:51 AM   #4
Flightboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug View Post
I'm not sure I know, but I always have the "Tools/Hierarchy View" window open and select from it (F8). You're also in Group mode (upper left icon) rather than Object mode. It should still work as I just tested it and it worked for me. But worth a try to use Object mode and select both objects from the Hierarchy view.

Thank you very much for the answer, it solved the problem. I made the windows in the front window.
Regards Jens Eirik
Old 3rd April 2021, 08:29 AM   #5
humbug

Nice! I have only been modeling since last summer, but I did a bunch of stuff with flight sims in the past too. It's a lot of fun and you get to fly your results!

The first flight simulator that really got me started was on an Atari ST in the 1980s by a company called SubLogic (bought out by MS eventually). We've come a long, long way!

Steve
Old 4th April 2021, 08:20 AM   #6
Flightboy

Training make better

Bolean the windows goes well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Baka.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	3803  

Old 4th April 2021, 08:06 PM   #7
humbug

Nice start. When I started, I studied the default X-Plane aircraft carefully. It will show you things like how they do windows. I make my windows one way. So they are greyed out from the outside a bit through the glass_NML.png file and no scratches or dirt on the inside like the default planes.

Just a tip in case you haven't discovered this yet (sorry if I'm stating something you know), but after you finish an object be sure to make it have triangles. Easy way is to select the object and press SHIFT-CONTROL T (or menu is Surface/Triangulate). In X-Plane, everything has to be a triangle which is the meaning of the "TRIS" numbers in the .obj files (i.e., "TRIS" = triangles with the location of each triangle's three vertices). . .

If I'm building something with small parts, I'll often cut squares into triangles as I go by selecting two vertices and press SHIFT_CONTROL L (for line). This impacts how the object reflects the light so you will sometimes see your object with unusual black patches if a vertice is off line . . .

Feel free to PM me if you're really stuck. I'm no expert, but I'm using AC3D most every morning at 2:30 am when I wake up for a few hours!

Best,
Steve
Old 6th April 2021, 01:59 PM   #8
Flightboy

Steve, thanks, in case I need help then I can take contact with you in PM. First of all, i make a "coarse job" and correct faults in the model before triangulate the model.