Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th December 2004, 09:13 AM   #1
Hawk
Professional user

Default Merge-Unmerge

Is there a way to "Unmerge" once one has merged an group of things (objects), say I want to move a group as a whole, but later on I want to seperate some items from that merged object, can this be done in AC3D. :?:
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2004, 11:33 AM   #2
Malekovits
Professional user

One way is to select the object you want to to unmerge as "surface(s)" , and then select "cut-away object".
Malekovits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2004, 11:37 AM   #3
Hawk
Professional user

Default Merge-Unmerge

Thanks, that's the ticket.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:10 AM   #4
arcatatom

Smile Re: Merge-Unmerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Is there a way to "Unmerge" once one has merged an group of things (objects), say I want to move a group as a whole, but later on I want to seperate some items from that merged object, can this be done in AC3D. :?:
in other words, you didn't really want to 'merge' the objects in the first place, only handle them as a group and later handle them as separate objects? if so, select the objects of interest, click the group icon (to left of object icon), and click the group button (to right of copy and paste buttons). now you can easily push the objects around as a group. when you're done with the objects as a group, click the group icon, click some object in the group to select the whole group, and click the 'ungroup' button.

notice btw that you can handle an object in a group as a separate object (e.g., move it away from the other objects in the group) without destroying the group. when you go back to group mode and select a member of the group, all the objects in the original group will be selected, including the one you transformed as a separate object. cool, Andy!
arcatatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: Merge-Unmerge

Hmmm, this just occurred to me...

Can one object be in multiple groups and still operate properly both independently and as a member of each of the groups it's assigned to?

I can't claim to ever have done any exhaustive research on it. But, for complex subsystems such as you find in aircraft, it might be useful if there was that greater level of flexibility for multi-grouping of singular objects.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:52 PM   #6
arcatatom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglr View Post
Hmmm, this just occurred to me...

Can one object be in multiple groups and still operate properly both independently and as a member of each of the groups it's assigned to?

I can't claim to ever have done any exhaustive research on it. But, for complex subsystems such as you find in aircraft, it might be useful if there was that greater level of flexibility for multi-grouping of singular objects.
i didn't have time to try it, but i think the following from the manual relates to yr question. please post back on whether it suits yr purpose.

Quote:
Naming objects

When created, AC3D Objects are automatically named. The object name box is at the bottom of the control panel and allows these names to be set.

Object names can only be edited/set in Group or Object select mode. Object names need not be unique and can be the same across multiple objects. This can be useful for selecting or finding particular objects with the Edit->Select-by-name function (e.g. to select all objects named "chair").
arcatatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Stiglr
Professional user

I don't think it applies at all. Because objects can have names that aren't unique, it would mean that the software could still tell which "chair" you selected if you select one of several "chair" objects that shared the same name from a list.

Whether they were all in one group, or a member of several, and whether they would move simultaneously within multiple groups is a completely different matter.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote