Old 13th December 2005, 08:46 PM   #1
Hawk
Professional user

Default Follow up on loading problems

Update on new computer build.
Loaded Windows 2000 latest updates
Installed a new video card
Installed the latest video drivers for that card
On booting AC3D it does not go past the Dos screen, and I get this pop up message
"Error access code violation at 0x78002055 Program termanated" I have no idea as to what is causing this. Thanks
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2005, 09:27 PM   #2
Dennis
Professional user

Perhaps debug mode could offer more info? Add a "-debug" after ac3d.exe:

Code:
ac3d.exe -debug
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 08:26 AM   #3
Hawk
Professional user

How and where do I enter that "AC3D.exe-debug
Old 14th December 2005, 09:21 AM   #4
Dennis
Professional user

Try using the "Start -> Run..." command - this will bring up a console window where you can type commands.

To run AC3D from a command prompt, you'll need to type the full path to the AC3D executable, which you will follow with a "-debug" flag. This is basically the location of the ac3d.exe installation, plus an "ac3d.exe", plus the debug flag.

Mine looks like this:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\AC3D5\ac3d.exe" -debug
Make sure you put the full path+exe in quotes if there are any spaces in it, as I have done above.

This will output all of the info normally spit out to a new AC3D console window to the current console window, and the current window should not close when AC3D exits.

This will hopefully provide some more info as to what's happening.

Good luck,
Dennis

BTW - if you need to copy anything from the console window, right-click the console's title bar and choose "Edit -> Mark" to allow selections with Left-mouse + drag (or use "Edit -> Select all" to select everything). Once your selection is highlighted, right click anywhere within the console area and the selected text will be copied to the Windows clipboard, and you can paste into email/notepad/etc.
Old 14th December 2005, 07:20 PM   #5
Hawk
Professional user

Thanks I'll do that, this is the message in the AC3D black dos window when it fails to load the program. (Sometimes I get the message posted earlier)
"Tcl error in AC3D in Tcl/AC3D
Stack trace:
Could not create rendering context
While executing... more text and finally
<file"tcl/ac3d .tcl line 1703
Old 14th December 2005, 08:42 PM   #6
Hawk
Professional user

Thanks Dennis that worked I received seven pages of information. However the last line says the same thing that pops up when it won't load, here it is.
RESULT: "1"
TCL ERROR IN AC3D in tcl/ac3d.tcl:

Stack Trace:
could not create rendering context
while executing
"togl $parent.$viewid.f.win -rgba true -double true -depth true -accum true"
(procedure "make_view" line 26)
invoked from within
"make_view 0 .views $prefs_proj0 true"
(procedure "make_views" line 11)
invoked from within
"make_views "
(file "tcl/ac3d.tcl" line 1703)
I would somehow like to get this resolved for I love the program. What is TCL?
Old 14th December 2005, 08:50 PM   #7
Hawk
Professional user

Within that seven page list, this is the only thing I find about tcl.

NEW ENTITY of class world
initializing TCL stuff
old dir C:\Program Files\AC3D5x, changing to C:\Program Files\AC3D5x\ TCL_LIBRAR
Y=(null)
Initializing dynamic TCL

Why does it change to TCL_librar, is this normal. The letter x I added for testing purposes, meaning saving to files.
Old 14th December 2005, 09:21 PM   #8
Dennis
Professional user

Hmm --- I may be wrong, but it sounds like a graphics issue, where OpenGL basically could not setup for rendering. I believe the message seems to come from TCL because the AC3D code that sets up the rendering context is called from a TCL command (TCL is a scripting language, and in the case of AC3D allows a cross-platform GUI + interface to the core ac3d app).

At any rate, that TCL_LIBRARY message looks normal...

Did AC3D work prior to the new video card? What kind of video card is it?
Old 14th December 2005, 11:38 PM   #9
Hawk
Professional user

Prior to the adding the Video card it would load the work space but when I would touch an icon or attempted to work in a viewport it would lock up and freeze the machine and then reboot on its own, which is why I added the video card meaning in an attempt to stop this from occuring.

The video card is new, and is made by the same people who make the motherboard, it is a Volari XGi, Bright Pixel 3D graphics agp8x 64/128mg ddr 64 BIT Resolution 1600x1200. (I've had AC3D working before with onboard video only, but not on this machine).
After I added the Video card, AC3D will not load the workspace at all, meaning the program stops at the dos screen. But is does not lock up the machine or reboot as it was before.

Before the build of the new machine AC3D worked just fine (Old motherboard), no problems whatsoever, that was before the new machine was built, at that time I was running Windows ME. Now there is a New harddrive (Seagate 120 ATA), new motherboard, and same memory (512mg) and a fresh install of a new Windows 2000 Pro.

I called the tech rep for the motherboard and he says the board and video card are working fine. The rep had me download the latest drivers for the Video card. I have other graphic programs on the machine and they work fine including Paint Shop Pro, a word processor program and gmax.

On first loading of AC3D it never was normal on this machine, meaning a crash or failure at load? :?:
Old 15th December 2005, 12:31 AM   #10
Dennis
Professional user

The only app you've mentioned that would possibly use the OpenGL hardware besides AC3D would be gmax (the others use non-accelerated display modes).

Can you check whether you're using Direct3D/OpenGL/other acceleration in gmax? If you're not already using OpenGL in gmax, can you try switching it and see if that works?

If OpenGL initializes in gmax but not in AC3D, perhaps someone knows of some opengl hardware tests you could try out, or perhaps Andy & folks have a switch or two you could try?

Good luck,
Dennis