Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th December 2005, 03:34 AM   #11
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Dennis is correct, the key debugging output is here:

Code:
could not create rendering context
This means that AC3D is requesting a graphics window and not getting one back.

Perhaps check your machines bios - the AGP memory size may not match your graphics card.

You could also try changing the screen mode (depth and resolution).

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 08:35 AM   #12
Hawk
Professional user

Success, change resolution in all ways, no help at all.

Clicked on advance tab in display panel and moved slider to the left, notch by notch, when I set it at "Disable all basic acceleration, use this to correct severve problems" At this setting AC3D open and works fine, meaning as it should. Why would I have to run at this setting?

What could be wrong I checked the bios setting, AGP 8x and cpu temp (54/129) and on my old computer I ran the acceleration always at "Full" which is what is recommended, what could be the problem? I'd like to fix it whatever it is.

Bios settings
Frame buffer size 32mg
AGP apeture size 64 (set it to 128 no change)
AGP 8x support enabled
AGP fast write enabled
System bios Cacheable Disabled
Video memory casheable Disabled
AGP voltage 1.5 volts.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 10:33 AM   #13
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

The acceleration may be your driver/card doing non-threaded, non-windows compatible naughty things - great for games but not so good for real apps. It's impossible to say though. Problems like this are 99.9% driver problems.

The card docs should contain info on what the acceleration actually does. I'm not keen on this sort of slider - "if you get problems, change this setting" - rings all sorts of alarm bells for me

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 05:24 PM   #14
Thaellin
Professional user

It's a built in Windows troubleshooting featuer. By turnning off hardware accelerated graphics, the program works. This means the hardware driver is being naughty.

If your video card runs on an nVidia or ATI chip, go to *that* site and download the latest reference driver.

-- Jeff
Thaellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 09:58 PM   #15
Hawk
Professional user

Thanks for all the help.
I relayed what the group has said to a motherboard tech rep and he said the video card in the machine is mainly for games (It is a SLI card, he recommends a AGP, Like a XFX GeForce FX 5500 or 5200, don't know if this is Microsoft approved however), and to return it for one using nVidia, so now I guess the best thing to do is ask the group for a video card recommendation for use with AC3D.

I dont need a high-end board as all I do in AC3D is very basic stuff and as I will receive a credit for the existing board so I do need to purchase a new one from the same source (See below), I hope someone will have a look and please let me know what will work with AC3D. This will save me ordering again, meaning a video card that should work for the AC3D program.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?CatId=28
Old 16th December 2005, 01:39 AM   #16
Dennis
Professional user

I've had success through a GeForce 6800 and a GeForce FX 5700LE. I had no problems whatsoever with either of these cards using AC3D.

I couldn't speak directly to the 5200/5500, but I'd be very surprised if either of them did not work for you...

Good luck,
Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 03:49 AM   #17
Dughor
Expert member

Hope I understood everything correct.

That doesn't make sense Hawk. The tech-man says the card in you PC is especialy for games? If so, it should have no problems with AC3D.
He pretends you have a SLI card? On AGP? Thats bull****.

As far as I know, there is no SLI support for AGP cards. This will only work with PCIe boards...

To make things short.
Could you please tell us, what you current system speccs are?
(CPU, Mainboard, RAM)

Then we could find a good graphics board for you...
Old 16th December 2005, 07:08 AM   #18
Hawk
Professional user

The motherboard is a
Chaintech CT-7N1F2 Socket A NVIDIA NFORCE 2 IGp+ MCP U-ATX motherboard
http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/p...No=13&PISNo=15
I am staying with Socket A boards for awhile.
Same old CPU AMD 1300 DURON worked fine with AC3D before. Could go up to Sempron 2700+ if need be on this board but it was working just fine before with AC3D.
512 mg ram, worked before with AC3D. I could increase this (To 3gb) but I see no need, it moves along just fine.
My power supply is now 300 watts, same as before.
The harddrive is a new Seagate ATA 120 GB (Which is the reason I wanted to change motherboards).
In any case all this met the requirements for AC3D before so I doubt if these things have anything to do with the program not working, all indication are that it is something with the display or its drivers. I am only telling you what the tech rep has said, and I sure can't argue with him. However he did not seem to know anything about 3D modeling programs. Thanks
Old 16th December 2005, 07:35 AM   #19
Dughor
Expert member

Ok, that helps

I see, you try to use your onBoard graphics...

Integrated NVIDIA NV17-class (GeForce4 MX) GPU
256-bit 3D/2D graphics accelerator
Shared system memory, up to128MB

On my PC at work, I also have a shared memory graphic system.
Though its an 1200 Duron, you realy can forget AC3D. The performace is sub par, and not alle 4 views work. There are only 1 or two working...

Anyway.
You realy should buy a better graphic card.

If you want to keep your current system you could buy a used GeForce4200/4400/4600 or something new like a GF FX6600 GT.

Or maybe, you still have your old graphic-board? Try it
Old 16th December 2005, 09:10 AM   #20
Hawk
Professional user

Here is what I was going by, is this...that is not a demanding requirement.
Requirements
* Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP or Linux x86
* Pentium 120 (or equiv) minimum
* 64 MB RAM minimum
* 10 MB free hard disk space
* preferable, but not necessary - 3D accelerated video card with OpenGL drivers

These are the only requirements specified for running AC3D (On the AC3D home page) and I have run this same program with onboard video only with no problems at all, that is for my needs. (I have no idea whatsoever why it won't run with my current onboard video (New board).
The video card I ordered (And am now replacing) did have 3d accelerated video and OpenGL 1.3 the problem was, according to the tech rep, is not suitable for this kind of program. Why? I haven't a clue.

All I know is that it will not work and I'm ordering a new one. Thanks for the input.

I will order a GeForce FX 5500 or 5200 and see what happens, in any case I will let the group know what the outcome is. I am hoping it is not something with the motherboard. Thanks