Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th May 2005, 11:52 AM   #11
Stiglr
Professional user

What is happening now is that you're selecting the whole car, assigning it to a texture, and then, when you try to change the texture for a different area of the same car, you lose the original texture assignment.

First off, I'd recommend separating your model into parts, so that you can texture different PARTS, and not the entire model at one time. Not to say you can't texture the whole thing at once... but it's not the best way to do it.

To separate your model, enter Surface mode, select areas or blocks of surfaces (ex. parts might be Right Side, Right Door, Right Wheel, Hood, Trunk, Cabin Top, etc.) and for each, perform a Surface/Cut Away Object operation (renaming each resulting Object as you go, to avoid later confusion). Then, once you've got these separate pieces, you can select them one at a time and texture them. Or even, if your texture is based on side views, texture groups of adjacent objects all at once (ex: Right Side, Right door and Right Wheel textured together against a texture that's a photo of the car seen from the right side)

It doesn't really matter how many different texture files you have to texture the parts. Each piece can "call" a different file to texture it, although it's best to try and consolidate into as few texture files. Each part can be textured "from" any viewpoint: top, left, right, back, whatever, so that the viewing angle is as close to 90 degrees straight on as possible. You'll see this in the TCE (F10 after you select an item)

I suggest also you check the manual on the TCE. It's made pretty clear how it works (rather intuitive, I might add).

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote