Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th October 2007, 08:11 AM   #1
Bitwise56

Default Fluted Column in SL

Hi all. I am a newbie so please be gentle.

I have been attempting to create a roman style column to import in to second life.
My attempts start with the "base prim" sculpty-cylinder.ac

By importing another cylinder and using a boolean subtract, i am able to make the flutes. Everything looks great in AC3D but it imports as a black ball.

How can i make flutes in the cylinder? Everything I try seems to fail.
Bitwise56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 10:45 AM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Fluted Column in SL

The boolean operation is probably altering the UV map. After you make your flutes, open the UV map tool\texture coordinate editor, and apply a cylindrical wrap to your object. That should fix it.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 11:35 AM   #3
Bitwise56

Thanks Lisa, I tried your recommendation and had better results than before. However I still must not be creating a perfect uv map as required by exporter.

According to the documentation. Setting up the uv map can be tricky to do manually.
Bitwise56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 03:46 PM   #4
lisa
Professional user

A little bit, but a column shouldn't be too bad.

Make sure your UV map goes edge-to-edge, and wraps.

For a column, you might getting a better result if your use the LSL LLSetPrimitiveParams to switch the wrapping mode to cylindrical. Then your UV map only needs to wrap left-right instead of both left-right and up-down.
Old 31st October 2007, 02:46 AM   #5
Gus
Advanced member

Hi all, am also on the same boat as Bitwise56.... I just created my first sculpted pillars/columns..........However, once imported to SL the uvmap looks messed up..look at images below. For your convenience I attached the AC3d files...

Attached Files
File Type: zip pillar_1.zip (36.5 KB, 301 views)
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:13 AM   #6
lisa
Professional user

You could try adjusting the map to assign a little more of it to the bottom of the column; that may improve the resolution.

Here's the LSL script for setting the mode to cylindrical:

{
state_entry()
{
llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_TYPE, PRIM_TYPE_SCULPT, "copy and paste texture UUID here", PRIM_SCULPT_TYPE_CYLINDER]);
}
}
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Gus
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa View Post
You could try adjusting the map to assign a little more of it to the bottom of the column; that may improve the resolution.

Here's the LSL script for setting the mode to cylindrical:

{
state_entry()
{
llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_TYPE, PRIM_TYPE_SCULPT, "copy and paste texture UUID here", PRIM_SCULPT_TYPE_CYLINDER]);
}
}

Hello Lisa, am a bit lost but whats the script for and where do I use that?
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:52 PM   #8
lisa
Professional user

Oh, terribly sorry if I haven't been explaining very well!

Earlier, I had suggested to cylindrical wrap the the column to get your uv mapping. The works, but the tops and bottoms may not match on the map. By default, Second Life wants a spherical wrap, not a cylindrical wrap. But... SL does let you change that with script. If you make a new script in your prim, and paste the code I posted inside it, it will change the uv mapping mode inside SL. Presuming you cylindrical mapped the column in AC3D, changing the mode to cylindrical in SL would make both match, so you should get a better output result.

As for suggestions to adjust the map, how much map space you give to an element determines how many polygons it gets in SL. If you have details that aren't showing up, trying giving them more space on the texture map. Here is another post with pictures that better explains what I mean: http://www.inivis.com/forum/showpost...45&postcount=5
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:33 PM   #9
Gus
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa View Post
Oh, terribly sorry if I haven't been explaining very well!

Earlier, I had suggested to cylindrical wrap the the column to get your uv mapping. The works, but the tops and bottoms may not match on the map. By default, Second Life wants a spherical wrap, not a cylindrical wrap. But... SL does let you change that with script. If you make a new script in your prim, and paste the code I posted inside it, it will change the uv mapping mode inside SL. Presuming you cylindrical mapped the column in AC3D, changing the mode to cylindrical in SL would make both match, so you should get a better output result.

As for suggestions to adjust the map, how much map space you give to an element determines how many polygons it gets in SL. If you have details that aren't showing up, trying giving them more space on the texture map. Here is another post with pictures that better explains what I mean: http://www.inivis.com/forum/showpost...45&postcount=5

Oh okay, I will research and practice more....thanks alot!
Old 3rd November 2007, 06:02 PM   #10
Gus
Advanced member

Hello, am back......to use the script, am not sure where I suppose to get the texture's UUID?