Go Back   AC3D Forums > Technical > AC3D Developers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th December 2013, 11:21 PM   #1
jentron
Professional user

Default Plug-in features for 3-d print modeling

Lately I've been thinking about some features it would be great to have in AC3D to help in preparing models for 3D printing:
  • Better extrude by normal. I roughed some math in pseudo code on this thread that keeps the new surface parallel to the old surface so the extrusion distance is more exact.
  • Water tight test. I believe ensuring every edge is shared by exactly two edges is a simple test of water tightness. Perhaps the plug-in could change leaky surfaces to a specified material. A brief look through the SDK makes me think this is already 95% done in AC3D.
  • Consistent normals. Once we've achieved every edge being shared by exactly (one or) two vertexes, I think if we test the edges to ensure one goes from V0->V1 and the other goes from V1->V0 we can know the normals are consistent.

I am hoping to gain some free time in the near future to work on these things. If someone would like to step-up to mentor my on the internals of AC3D, that would be great.

There are also some things I don't have an idea how to solve:
  • Self-intersection test. Testing to make sure no surfaces intersect each other.
  • Wall thickness test. The 3D print service I've been using has minimum required wall thicknesses.
  • Object volume. The 3D print service I've been using also charges by the cubic centimeter, so it would be nice to figure out how much a model would cost before I upload it.
jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 02:04 PM   #2
jentron
Professional user

Default Re: Plug-in features for 3-d print modeling

Is it possible to switch selection modes from C++? I don't see a prototype in the SDK header but see a few candidate functions in the binary:
  • set_new_select_mode_ui
  • set_new_select_mode
  • add_undoable_change_select_mode
  • set_select_mode_ui %s
  • set_select_mode

I assume I should do something like:
add_undoable_change_select_mode("My Plugin thing");
set_select_mode(SELECT_SURFACE);

But I don't know what the prototype should look like or which of the 4 sets is the 'best' to use?

Thanks,

Ron

(Extrude by normal switches to surface mode and leaves the new surfaces selected. I would like to emulate that. Also, in the watertightness plug-in I would like to switch to surface mode and leave any "bad" surfaces selected.)

Last edited by jentron; 14th December 2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 24th December 2013, 05:04 AM   #3
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

You should probably use this one:

Prototype void add_undoable_change_select_mode(int newmode, char *undotext) // remembers selection and changes to new mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentron View Post
Is it possible to switch selection modes from C++? I don't see a prototype in the SDK header but see a few candidate functions in the binary:
  • set_new_select_mode_ui
  • set_new_select_mode
  • add_undoable_change_select_mode
  • set_select_mode_ui %s
  • set_select_mode
I assume I should do something like:
add_undoable_change_select_mode("My Plugin thing");
set_select_mode(SELECT_SURFACE);

But I don't know what the prototype should look like or which of the 4 sets is the 'best' to use?

Thanks,

Ron

(Extrude by normal switches to surface mode and leaves the new surfaces selected. I would like to emulate that. Also, in the watertightness plug-in I would like to switch to surface mode and leave any "bad" surfaces selected.)
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Edymnion
Professional user

Having a plugin that could essentially smoke test a mesh to see if it were ready for 3D printing would definitely be something I'd be interested in.

Something that could determine if a mesh was water tight and then automatically ensure that all of the surfaces were facing out correctly would be very useful indeed.
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion. It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.
Edymnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 08:02 PM   #5
jentron
Professional user

Edymnion,

I have a plug-in now that selects leaky surfaces. When I ran it on the Tardis model you uploaded it pointed out several leaky edges:

The dome light had a few "extra surfaces." I know Shapeways.com doesn't like those.
The right side vertical panels had a vertex that didn't connect to the horizontal panel.
The handles didn't have surfaces on their rears.

If you'd like a copy of the source code, let me know.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tardis-1.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	2949  

Old 28th December 2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Sounds great - Yes please!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2013, 04:19 PM   #7
jentron
Professional user

https://gitorious.org/ac3d-plugins/watertight

Includes watertight.cpp and a Linux makefile. With thanks to Dennis Hawthorne for selcon.
Old 4th January 2014, 11:25 PM   #8
Edymnion
Professional user

Excellent, gratci!
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion. It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.
Old 28th February 2014, 10:11 AM   #9
jentron
Professional user

Andy wrote:
"AC3D 7.2 also includes Ron Jensen's plugin for checking the integrity of an object prior to 3D printing."

I guess I'm (in)famous now.
Old 10th March 2014, 12:33 PM   #10
Edymnion
Professional user

Been using this one a lot with my latest project. If for nothing else, its awesome at finding places where I extruded a surface and it left behind a wall inside the model that I didn't see (which proceeds to wreak havoc when subdividing).