Go Back   AC3D Forums > Technical > AC3D Bugs and Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 15th January 2015, 12:55 PM   #1
shorty feden

Default Converted Mesh

Hi all,
I build virtual sail boats in one of the virtual worlds and found this software (Sailcut CAD) to make sails for them. When i export the file from it and save as DXF and then import it in AC3D It becomes very large but looks ok. When I import it into the virtual world using there mesh import as a DAE file this photo attached is what i get. I've tried combining them but when i upload it I now get transparent faces on some of the sail.
Any body have a suggestion on fixing this or maybe another sail making software that I haven't found?
Maybe convert the file to another format and then import it?

Shorty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad converted sail.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	3160  

shorty feden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Converted Mesh

I'd check the normals in AC3D. The sail program may be outputting incorrect triangles in the DXF. If it support .obj export, that's probably better.

In AC3D, select everything and make it single sided. Have a look at it from both sides - one side should be invisible.

AC3D's DAE export is well used so I don't think the problem is there.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 09:22 PM   #3
jentron
Professional user

There is a sample dxf file here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/sailcut/cod...dxf?format=raw
It shows just what Andy was talking about... The triangles are randomly ordered.
jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 11:54 AM   #4
shorty feden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'd check the normals in AC3D. The sail program may be outputting incorrect triangles in the DXF. If it support .obj export, that's probably better.

In AC3D, select everything and make it single sided. Have a look at it from both sides - one side should be invisible.

AC3D's DAE export is well used so I don't think the problem is there.
Well Im about to just give up. First you only have these files you can export too.
DXF
SVG
TXT
XML

The DXF acts weird when brought into AC3D to start with. The grid looks to be so far away you can't even move it to there. The whole thing is so big also when brought in. The norms you can forget about as you can hardly see them sticking out and i see nothing in settings to adjust those or color change.
If you want me to send the DXF to you so you can look I will do that, Just send me an email or I can post it here I guess. Really a shame I cant use this. Would save me a lot of time making sails. Making them AC3D doesn't work very well and they look really rough. Now Hexagon has a tool (Manip) that would work, as it lets you high light a group of vertexes and it pulls or pushes the vertexes but not all the same distance.Nice feature to have which lets you contour them without moving one at a time. Sighs I might try building a sail in it.

Thanks guys

Shorty
shorty feden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015, 03:02 PM   #5
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

To make a sail in AC3D create a mesh (with quads, not triangles) and press subdivide a couple of times. Then you can simply move some of the vertices to create the curved surface.

As I think we identified above, the reversed-triangle problem is not in AC3D - it's the output of the sail program.

Press 'f' to center the selection in the view - it sounds like the world position of the sail is not around the origin. Alternatively, move it to the origin by pressing 'move-to'. It's probably massive too, that's why you can't see the normal lines. To change the visible size of the lines, it's File->Settings->appearance-Size-of-display-normals.
Attached Images

Last edited by Andy; 17th January 2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 17th January 2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Depending on the detail you want, you can use a more detailed mesh or divide up an existing one. In this example if you move the inner vertex, you'll get a nice bulge.