Go Back   AC3D Forums > Technical > AC3D Bugs and Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th June 2023, 08:15 AM   #1
epajarre

Question relative texture directory paths

My apologies for not verifying this with the most current version.

I seem to have several older AC3D version installed, and just noticed a problem with texture file paths, in my case the textures are in the .rgb (SGI) format.

On AC3D 8.0.80 paths like ../../tex_dir/texture1.rgb work
On AC3D 8.3.30 and AC3D 8.5.55 these files do not work.

With the later AC3D I can load the the texture from the same file later, and it works with the original object, texture coordinate are also OK, so the problem seems to be related to just finding the file when originally loading the file.

Any information what might have changed, or is it possible that there is some configuration setting which I should change. Using absolute file path would work, but it would break if the whole model hierarchy is moved to a different location.

I am working with Windows version
epajarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2023, 03:58 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: relative texture directory paths

Textures are first searched-for in the same folder as the model file and then in textures/ within that folder. Having relative folders caused problems on different platforms so that's why it was changed.

If you have problems with old files, edit the .ac file with a texture editor and look for all the "texture" lines, where you can edit the paths.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2023, 09:19 AM   #3
epajarre

Default Re: relative texture directory paths

Ok,

Thanks for the information. I will have to think what to do. Editing the models with a text editor is not really a problem, but I was keeping my model in different directories, and I was sharing some textures between the models, and also other tools.

Neither of these are too easy/clean to change. Symbolic links might help, but I am on Windows, so they are not so typical solution there.
epajarre is offline   Reply With Quote