Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st March 2005, 01:16 PM   #1
Hawk
Professional user

Default AC3D Version 5 question

The AC3D Version 5 changes from the earlier version are excellent without any question, however in the 3D view port, although its certain nice to make selections within it sometimes I don't wish it to, and it happens to my surprise, which distracts from what I am doing.

So, can this 3D viewport selection ability be somehow turn completely off, that is, during those work periods. :?:
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 01:21 PM   #2
Hawk
Professional user

Sorry, answered my own question with a little exploring, should have checked a little further, by pressing the vertex button, that turns it off (With vertex unchecked in the drop down menu).

As a matter of fact, press some of the other buttons to see some surprising results in the 3D viewport..
Old 1st March 2005, 04:40 PM   #3
foxa
Professional user

If you select the 3D button in the 3D window one of the options is NAV SELECT, by selecting or unselecting this option you can chose between using the cursor (in the 3D window) to either navigate (NAV) or select. It works well for me and I would like to see a button on the 3D window for it.

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 05:38 PM   #4
Malekovits
Professional user

I completely agree with Hawk about the 3d selection in nav mode.
Also a selection option
[like wireframe, texture, normal, grid options (on/off)]
for turning on/off the nav mode in the
main toolbar -> 3d
Malekovits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 09:15 PM   #5
Hawk
Professional user

Actually the way it works pleases me a lot just as it is, and once I learned how to use the Select buttons (Surface and vertrex on the control panel). Try it.
Below is an image with just the transom of this boat selected using select-surface and holding the shift key down I an able to select as many surfaces as I like, all appearing in a very visible way.
http://www.tomah.com/Delliott/selectsurface.gif
Please notice the wonderful and clear cross hatch pattern that appears when this method is used, just great! I was pleasently surprised when this happened.

Also if vertex is selected (Control panel) all the vertices do not have to be visible (Which can cause confusion if too many are shown), if you know about where the one is you want, click with the mouse and it will appear, very nice indeed.

Would a off an on button on the nav bar be nice, yep but its not much of a reach to the select panel at the left. In addition this method ensures you don't disturb things accidentally
Old 2nd March 2005, 03:38 AM   #6
kaelastreet
Advanced member

I agree with the content of the above posts and I have been using the 3D window to select for some time.

I would like to see a 'Maya' like control withthe three arrows, X, Y and Z available in the 3d window. The number of times I have drag'd or extruded in the 3D window only for 'something else' other than that 'I intended' to happen before my eyes...

Working with the 3D window on full scale is for somethings, for me, the best answer, but not always. Selection arrows, like wot ya get in Maya etc would be nice, but its not a show stopper if they are not there, getting kinda used to it now...

Kizz
kaelastreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 08:25 AM   #7
Hawk
Professional user

I'm not sure what it is you are saying Kizz, but in my opinion, and now that I have worked with 5 for a while, once you decide what you want to do, and how it can be done, it performs nicely, quick and easy.

I do like selecting things and having them clearly visible in a view, which AC3D now does. 5 now allows vertex selection without a zillion vertices on the screen, and if I am selecting a surface only the new version makes this easy and as a bonus, the object stands out clearly on the screen. (Of course, I am still talking about working in the 3D viewport).

I think all of this is a major improvement over the earlier version. In fact, the old version did mostly all that's needed, this one just does it a lot better, and ease of function or use is what make this type of program a success.
Old 2nd March 2005, 10:12 AM   #8
kaelastreet
Advanced member

I will see if I can scram a screenshot to better explain.

I agree on the whole though, Version 5 is terriffic, without question.

Kizz
kaelastreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 03:30 PM   #9
Thaellin
Professional user

I think what is being desribed here is being given a UI element (located near the selected surface) for use in manipulating in the 3D view. You would effectively grab one of the axes and then drag - it would drag along that axes.

That kind of aid...

Not sure if I'm expaining it any better.
-- Jeff
Thaellin is offline   Reply With Quote