Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th February 2021, 07:14 PM   #1
FeatherlessChicken

Default Does AC3D have these features?

Sorry for the rather vague title.

I'm looking at buying AC3D but want to determine if it has a few features I'd like which I've looked for in the online manual but couldn't confirm.

* Does it have a "measure" tool to find the distance between points?
* Is there a 2D circle tool?
* Is there a 2D arc tool?
* Can I draw a shape using lines providing lengths to get sizes perfect like sketchup? If so, can I lock the creation of a line or shape to the x/y or z plane?
* Are there any recent videos anywhere showing UV mapping? I've watched one where someone textures a pizza box, but I can't find anything recent showing texturing of a more complicated object. My goal here is to see how complicated it is to texture something with some relatively complex curves, and to see how to use the current features of AC3D to make texturing easier. Can I put seams where I want to cut the model etc.
* Can I do the same thing like in sketchup where if you draw / move / resize / etc part of your model, you can type in a value straight afterwards and it adjusts what you did to match the value? e.g. If I move an object by a little bit on the x axis, if I then type "2" it changes how far I moved the object to move it by exactly 2 units.

Thanks!

Last edited by FeatherlessChicken; 1st March 2021 at 04:45 AM.
FeatherlessChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 07:00 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Does AC3D have these features?

Simply select two vertices and the distance will be displayed at the top of the interface.

Yes - you can draw circles. The default is a circle (line). You can change it into a single polygon by changing the surface type to poly (bottom left of control panel, select-surface-type). Alternatively create a Disk object which is a circle made from triangles.

No arcs, but you can make a circle and delete or move the vertices.

To make things a specific size or in a particular position use the Size-to and Move-to functions in Utils at the bottom let of the control panel. Use the move gadget to shift your selection by a specified amount.

Sorry, there are no detail texturing tutorials. You can't mark seams but you can select different sets of surfaces and map those. The LSCM unwrap is a powerful function which helps "flatten out" a section for mapping.

Last edited by Andy; 6th March 2021 at 07:19 AM. Reason: typo
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2021, 06:34 AM   #3
FeatherlessChicken

Default Re: Does AC3D have these features?

Cheers Andy - I'm struggling with texturing, I'll keep trying.
FeatherlessChicken is offline   Reply With Quote