Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th November 2004, 08:14 PM   #1
AndyH
Advanced member

Default Snap to...

I've noticed that I am having a little problem with snapping objects together.

I've created a very simple object and I am duplicating it many times (ctrl+D) to make up a larger model. I have snap to grid on at a grid size (snap) of 0.05

When I put these duplicates side by side it looks like vertices are sharing the same position, so when I combine the objects and then select Optmise Vertices I expect the duplicates to be removed. However they are not always, and I think it is because when I duplicate an object it is created at an offset that is not quite snapped to the grid?

When I zoom in really close I can see gaps (and I think small number rounding errors are occuring as I find loads of problems from the middle mouse button not being able to scroll the view to vertices moving about to different places as I zoom in and out at extreme close up). I have to select vertices and choose snap together by distance to get them together before the object-Optimise Vertices will work.

I have tried selecting all vertices in my model and choosing Snap to grid, then duplicating an object (now all is snapped to grid) and positioning it on the end, combining and then optimise vertices and it does not optimise. I have to select the vertices in the duplicate part, snap it to the grid and then optimise works. As you can imagine this becomes a chore when you have to duplicate, toggle to vertices edit mode, snap to grid, toggle back to object edit mode, merge then optmise.

Is this a known issue and can it be fixed?