Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th July 2008, 11:29 PM   #1
Kelerion

Question Porting the prim builder objects for use in other grids

Hey all

I am new to AC3D and have a quick query/suggestion...

After the amazing work that has been done with IBM and Linden Labs to facilitate porting between grids using the Open Grid Protocol I was wondering if there were any plans on making AC3D a viable building tool within those environments.

More information can be found at this link:

http://blog.secondlife.com/2008/07/0...-announcement/

From what I have seen and read... only the prim builder components would need to be looked at... not the main AC3D codebase.

Let me know your thoughts please!

Regards

Kel
Kelerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 06:03 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: Porting the prim builder objects for use in other grids

The last time I looked, the method of importing models into OpenSim had not been decided but I think there was talk that it could be via some common file format like OBJ or 3DS - which AC3D supports.

I can foresee problems with sims being open. Who will manage the new sims? What's to stop hackers modifiying them to do nasty things to visitors' items and money? Could it be the end of LL if everyone undercuts their letting islands? Why are Linden Labs getting involved with all this? - do they think their days are numbered, or have they already made enough out of SL so they can now sit back?All very interesting...
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 08:21 AM   #3
Kelerion

Default Re: Porting the prim builder objects for use in other grids

Hey there..

There has been lots of discussions about this lately... especially on the LL wiki... however Linden has put a lot of thought into this and they are keeping the security model high in their list of priorities... which is why the initial tests showed their inventories are empty.

The LL asset server is still tightly controlled... and although they are working to link that with new grids they are still going to maintain their permissions system... it will simply be extended.

As for why they are doing all this? I don't know to be honest... but from what I have read they seem to agree that the future of online metaverses relies on there being some kind of interopability... they aren't always going to be the only virtual world supplier... and they must think that they need to make this kind of jump to stay in the market..

As for any kind of mesh import into OpenSim... there isn't one.. we have export/import in XML format for transfering items but thats about it... I know RealXtend has been working on a mesh importer lately so it might happen.

I've not used AC3D yet... so I don't know the full extend of it's capabilities other than those I've seen listed on the website... specifically the box, triangle and sculpty exporters.. which, from the videos I see on youtube, require copy/paste into a prim generator in SL... its that generator I was thinking of in my original post...

Anyways... as you said! all interesting stuff!

Keep up the good work!

Kel

Last edited by Kelerion; 9th July 2008 at 08:30 AM.
Kelerion is offline   Reply With Quote