Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th October 2006, 04:26 PM   #11
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: Best approach to low-poly house modeling?

Seems to me that bottom ledge is a separate surface, not the same as the floor to the house. You should be able to select it alone and delete it without affecting the floor.

Isn't the floor the much darker grey color under the wall (or is that the viewport background?

In any case, the floor should be its own object, such that any operations done to a wall won't affect the floor one way or the other.

Just cut the floor away as a separate object; select it in Surface Mode and do Cut Away Object.

As to your Boolean question, yes. If you don't set it up to do otherwise, AC3D creates a new object in the exact same place, but if you're doing a boolean cut, you can't see the result for the overlapping original object.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 05:54 PM   #12
CGMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglr View Post
Seems to me that bottom ledge is a separate surface, not the same as the floor to the house. You should be able to select it alone and delete it without affecting the floor.

Isn't the floor the much darker grey color under the wall (or is that the viewport background?

In any case, the floor should be its own object, such that any operations done to a wall won't affect the floor one way or the other.

Just cut the floor away as a separate object; select it in Surface Mode and do Cut Away Object.

As to your Boolean question, yes. If you don't set it up to do otherwise, AC3D creates a new object in the exact same place, but if you're doing a boolean cut, you can't see the result for the overlapping original object.
Yeah that is the case, but the problem is I don't want any surface on the ground in that area. It should just be two walls and the ceiling where the door inset is. That's the trouble I'm having with it. can't find an efficient way to do that. :-/

Edit: Okay that's wierd
I just tried it again and this time only the surface I wanted to be removed was. Every other time I've done this I've ended up deleting the entire floor of the house. Very odd. But.. I guess it worked.. heheh.

Well, let's see.. maybe other things that have been giving me trouble will work now, too

Thanks! :-)

Last edited by CGMike; 26th October 2006 at 05:57 PM.
CGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2006, 11:51 AM   #13
griff
Professional user

One little trick I use with door frame extrusions is to extrude outwards .... then remove that bottom surface ... and move the vertices of the front of the frame back inside the house.

Another thing I do is to build a little library of parts objects ... eg windows and doors then just 'merge' them in as needed after I've cut the required holes in the basic box house structure. Then change textures as needed

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 02:52 PM   #14
Galun
Expert member

I come in here a bit late, but I do building models in several meshes because I want to be able to open doors, go in and look out of a window. For me it was easier to build a house with a base block, walls, ceilings and a roof. The doors are movable so they have to be a mesh on their own anyway.
For better performance I built simplified versions of the models and these are done using a big box and only some of the details. The simpler models replace the detailed ones at a certain distance to save rendering time.
Galun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 03:06 PM   #15
Stiglr
Professional user

Not to mention, if you're really going for a realistic model, you need to have some thickness to the walls, and presumably you could do all that when you first create the outer "box" shell. Then, if you use Boolean or even Knife to cut door and wall sections out, you'll leave jambs and threshhold sections behind, or at least have vertices you can quickly link with surfaces to create whatever you need.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote