Go Back   AC3D Forums > Technical > AC3D Bugs and Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd December 2019, 09:53 PM   #1
stitlown
Expert member

Question Wavefront .obj import /export vertex order

I mostly render in Daz Studio, but I use AC3D for most of my modeling up - because it seems much easier and more intuitive than anything else I use.

However, once a mesh is in Studio (and, for instance, rigged and weight mapped and etc. etc.), it's very difficult (impossible?) to do more work on it back in AC3D because the vertex order of a model exported from Studio, imported to AC3D and then re-exported / imported gets changed. So, for example on morphs, even a simple model change will have absurd outcomes if applied as a morph to the original Studio mesh.

I've seen in some discussions that Blender has an option to "preserve vertex order" and this is needed to to morph modelling using blender.

Is there any similar option in the AC3D import and export? I can't see any place to specify this. And it it's not yet available, I'd like to see that feature added.

My current importer / exporter are export 1.6 by Dennis Hawthorne and Import 1.8 by John Huffman / Inivis.

FWIW, Daz get around this issue somehow with their Studio / Hexagon bridge. Unfortunately, Hexagon is a dog that's difficult to use, hence this plea.
stitlown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
export, import, vertex-order, wavefront