Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th January 2006, 08:45 PM   #1
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Default Combining mirrored halves

Newbie confounded as to how you make the mrrored half meld in with the original half with no gaps. I took the sample "head.ac", cut away the left half, then mrrored the right half (using -z), and that left a slim gap right down the middle. I can't figure out how to get the vertices close to each other in that gap to connect and make new smooth surfaces. It is not feasable to do this one vertiex pair at a time - isn't ther some way to effect a smooth melding of the mirrored half with the original? jerrylynnb
jerrylynnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 09:59 PM   #2
Stiglr
Professional user

#1: when making your iniitial half, make SURE that the inner most vertices are ALL right dead on the 0 line where the halves will join. That's half the battle right there. That's what's caused your gap in the first place.

Then, when you do the Mirror, select all the vertices on the seam, and do a Snap Vertice by distance. Set the distance to very low, so it will basically only snap together vertices that are within 0.0001 or something that small. Be sure your center vertices are all but right on top of each other.

Then, after it seems like the meld has happened, do an Optimize Vertices and Optimize Surfaces to make sure all is well. You might also try making the entire head 1-sided surfaces, to see if any surfaces are facing improperly or their vertices are improperly ordered by the Mirroring.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 10:38 PM   #3
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Default mirroring uneven half?

Stiglr,

Is the "inner most" vertices those that are on the edges where I make the cut? It seems they will likely all be a little bit off the XY plane, but, I think you are indicating that they all need to lie along this XY plane - is that right? I am not sure it is possible to cut anything but simple shapes and hope to have all the edge vertices (along the cut) be all lined up in one plane (the plane of the cut), there will likely be a little bit zig-zaggie all along the cut - does that mean I will have to live with these gaps? I was hoping that AC3D could figure out how to create the appropriate surfaces when the matching vertices are really close, but not exactly on, the dividing plane of the cut. Maybe I am not understanding this and I need to study the examples a bit more. Thanks, jerrylynnb
Old 16th January 2006, 10:49 PM   #4
Stiglr
Professional user

What do you mean by "make the cut"? If I understand you, you're trying to create a half a head, and mirror it to complete the head, right? In this case, you want to have the vertices that form the center of the head profile running along the Z axis line. Or, looking at it from front the center of the chin, nose, forehead, etc will run along the very center Y line.

By the way, you do know that most faces are not completely symmetrical, right?

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 11:25 PM   #5
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

I read in the sample file "head.ac", which is a course gray skull (without ears nor eyes). I wanted to expirement, so I cut it in half and deleted the left half. Then I tried to mirror the remaining half and that is how I got all the ziggies. If I were to sculpt the right half from scratch, then that would be different. What I had in mind was to learn how to use portions of existing models (select and delete unwanted portions), and then combine these with other "abridged" surfaces. This experiment was to just try to merge it back into a mirror image of itself. I realize that normal heads have variances from true symmety, but, this was just me trying to get used to clumping different shapes together and smoothing out the seams. I guess I am getting ahead of myself. Thanks.