Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th December 2013, 06:35 AM   #1
iansmcdonald

Default Gridsnap doesn't quite behave the way I expect (or really, really, really want it to)

Much as I love AC3D (tried all the rest - keep coming back to it - since 2004) there is one behaviour that makes AC3D fundamentally unusable for me, unless someone can point out what I'm doing wrong.
As a graphic designer in 2D, (Coreldraw, Illustrator etc) I'm used to the idea of a grid, and snapping to that grid, and that grid being immovable and reliable.
AC3D seems to promise the same, but doesn't.
If I draw say a pentagon (the end of a house wall: horizontal floor, 2 vertical walls, 2 angled roofs), I do so roughly. When I move the vertices to their precise locations, some of them snap to where i want them, but one (the apex of the roof) usually snaps to its own invisible grid, which is offset from the visible grid by some arbitrary amount. This is the problem.
SUMMARY:
Some vertices snap to the visible grid.
Other verices snap to some invisible grid that's offset from the visible grid.
This also makes aligning objects by snapping them to the same grid impossible, because some objects snap to the visible grid, and others to a nearby invisible grid.
Am I doing something wrong, or is this a deliberate feature?
iansmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
jentron
Professional user

Default Re: Gridsnap doesn't quite behave the way I expect (or really, really, really want it

I've noticed that before, but since I don't use grid snap very often I've ignored it.

What looks like is happening is what you said. When moving a vertex with grid snap on the vertex only moves in steps of the grid size. So, if the grid is 0.1 and the point is at 0.01 you can only move to 0.11, 0.21, etc.

If you want the vertex to align with the world grid, use the menu command "Vertex->Snap to Grid". Then (all) the selected vertex(es) will snap to the nearest fixed grid point(s).
jentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 08:17 PM   #3
iansmcdonald

Default Re: Gridsnap doesn't quite behave the way I expect (or really, really, really want it

Ah, so I'm not going mad after all!
I will try the vertex>snap to grid. I'm sure it will work (unnecessarily cumbersome though).
Thanks.
iansmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Yep - that's the thing to do.

Think about what would happen if you selected the vertices, say of an entire sphere, and dragged it with an "active snap-to-grid" that worked as you moved the selection. It would be a nightmare - the vertices would all snap to the grid and deform the entire shape.

A vertex that's 'on the grid' will remain on it. It works the way it's designed.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote